The hip-hop community has been using this phrase for some time now but the Oxford English Dictionary has now made “stan” an official word.
It has come to represent a dickrider and a person biased towards someone. The Oxford English Dictionary gave it the following definition:
Stan is now a noun and a verb meaning:
An overzealous or obsessive fan of a particular celebrity.
- ‘he has millions of stans who are obsessed with him and call him a rap god’
- ‘The charging infrastructure isn’t widespread enough to justify long-distance travel yet, so it’s not an even trade unless you’re a Tesla stan.’
- ‘I’m an Outkast stan, so pretty much anything and everything they’ve done makes me happy.’
- ‘I swear I’ve been a stan of hers since I was five.’
- ‘I’m not a stan, but she looks fine to me.’
- ‘What’s with celeb stans getting so wild?
Be an overzealous or obsessive fan of a particular celebrity.
- ‘y’all know I stan for Katy Perry, so I was excited to see the artwork for her upcoming album’
- ‘I don’t care what anyone says, that performance proves why I have stanned for this man since 1998.’
- ‘He’s the only gay man not stanning for Beyonce.’
- ‘I have stanned for Korean pop groups for the longest time, sadly without much success.’
- ‘I admit I used to stan for Mariah when I was eight.’‘I can’t believe this woman has people stanning for her.’
Eminem continues to make history. For the song that started it all you can watch below. Please be advised that it is not for those of a nervous disposition.